Monday, July 7, 2008

Back from Gettysburg

I just arrived home from the 145th Gettysburg Reenactment. It was a long week of Historical goodness. We hit Antietam first, then Harper's Ferry, then Monocacy, and finally Gettysburg. The battlefields were a lot of fun to tour, especially with other guys interested in Civil War history. At Harper's Ferry I ran into Jonathan, an intern working there, and who is a reader of this site. That's crazy!! So I got to talk toys for a bit with him before we ran off to the next adventure.

The Reenactment was... meh. Of course, we were already exhausted from camping for the previous five days, so three more nights of camping just drained us more. We were like zombies walking around the event. I barely remember much of it. There was a battle, a funnel cake, some ticks, a whole lot of spiders, a frock coat that caught on fire, and several cans of spam.

I did get to visit Gettysburg Miniatures Soldiers. It's a nice toy soldier shop right on the strip that had all sorts of cool stuff. I picked up a set of CTS Japanese, and some reverse colored Conte Civil War figures. If you're ever in Gettysburg, you should stop by.
So now it's time to clean up all my gear, get unpacked from the trip, catch up on any toy soldier news I might of missed out on, and to generally take it easy for the rest of the day. Rock on.

2 comments:

Felix said...

When you set out a ACW scene with miniatures, do you have any particular battle in mind? Is there one or more moments in the war that toy soldier fans focus on i.e. that are more interesting to recreate? I notice "Picket's Charge" mentioned often. Sorry if I got the spelling wrong. I'm a Brit and I don't know much about it.

Beau said...

Hey Felix,

The Civil War has so many pivotal moments, but Pickett's Charge is a big one, being the "High Tide of the Confederacy". But really, with key battles such as Antietam, Shiloh, Fredericksburg, Vicksburg, Petersburg, etc., etc... There are a multitude of options. Right now on my table I have tried to recreate the attack and defense of Burnside's Bridge at the Battle of Antietam.

My next scene will probably be the Sunken Road. Don't know how I'll make a Sunken Road, But I'll give it a try.